Saturday, April 10, 2010

What have you done for me lately?
























A couple of times we have mentioned the 150 lbs of tools that we brought down with us and of course tools occupy a special place in my heart. Shortly after we got down here, the hinge on one of the hatches broke and it was time to effect a repair.

Wrenches, allen keys and even drill bits were put into use. The problem with the drill bits was I had no drill. Had to use the vice grips on the drill bit to turn and remount my new hole. Of course, you know where this is leading....let's increase that 150 lbs of tools by buying a new battery drill.

Rivets for repairing the hinge were in stock, having brought them down. The valves on the heads were leaking, so a repair was made with a new valve brought down in my tool package. When I repaired the engine water leak, the hose clamp was in stock in the tool kit. Moving the baby stay so that the dinghy can be stored on deck on the trip home required drilling holes in the deck, wrenches, hack saws - again most of the parts were in stock in the tool kit. For the trip home, we will carry some extra jerry can fuel jugs on deck to extend our motoring range. I needed a board to go between the stantions for attachment. Went to the local hardware store (lumber store) but after the 1km walk, they informed me they don't sell lumber any more. On the way to the lumber store, I had noticed a 2x10 leaning against the wall of a business (looked like a piece left over from a big crate). I asked the owner if I could buy it - he said it was free - no charge. When I asked him if he could cut to length, he gave me that funny look and I knew the answer was "NO". I took my board back to the boat and then had to retrace my steps to the hardware store for a saw. Yipee - more tools! The free 2x10 only cost me $23.00 for a hand saw. The fuel jug rail is now mounted and ready for the trip home. Before I get too smug about all the repairs and spare parts that have worked, talk to me after the ocean crossing and see how many things we had to fix on route and did we have the parts and tools.

We are hoping to leave April 19th from St Thomas. Tim & Wiley will be on board for the trip home. While I might have enough tools down here, I don't have enough sails so they are each bringing a spinnaker and more line. It's 1500 miles to New York City. My target time is 11 days - 10 days would really put a smile on my face - 12 days would be a disappointment and 13 days would be just plain ugly. The average person walks at 4 miles per hour. The power walkers you see in your neighbourhood, swinging their arms, probably do 6 miles per hour - or our approximate sailing speed.

We will push off from the marina at Nanny Cay, Tortola and get our customs clearance from the BVI's to leave tomorrow. Every location we leave now is a goodbye to an old friend. Joan especially is sorry to leave Deadman's Bay on Peter Island where the beach is exceptional and where we spent the last week. Next blog will probably be our last from the Caribbean.

No comments:

Post a Comment